Good riddance 2017. Scram. Beat it. Don’t let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
So much happened this year, I feel the need to jot it all down. Like so many, I’ve felt a that started with Trump’s bellicose inauguration speech and hasn’t let up since. This year has felt like 10, simply exhausting.
Though so little of it has touched me personally, I know my country will be digging out and rebuilding and repairing for generations.
Let’s recap, just the public stuff.
- Comey firing and the absurd dishonesty of Jeff Sessions’ congressional testimony
- The travel ban for Muslims (and Venezuela)
- Strategic un- or underfunding of Obamacare to hurt the most vulnerable
- The alienation of allies in Germany, France, China and the U.K.
- ICE raids, deportations, and mass fear in the immigrant community
- Nuclear brinksmanship with North Korea
- The massive tax reform that gives it away to corporations and the wealthy
- The Paris Climate Accord
- Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA, shmacka. Bye bye, dreamers!)
- Net Neutrality
- Tel Aviv as capital (and any hope of Middle East peace)
- Fetus, vulnerable, entitlement, diversity, transgender, fetus, evidence-based, and science-based (and our faith in government)
- Vital sub-cabinet posts and government advisory staff
- The individual health insurance mandate that supported affordable healthcare for all
- Frederick Douglass (no doubt rolling in his grave)
- Hurricane Harvey floods in TX
- Hurricanes Irma and then Maria devastation in the Caribbean and Florida
- Puerto Rico, an act of God made 500 times worse by government incompetence and neglect
- The earthquake in Mexico City
- Massive, historic wildfires all over California
- Charlottesville and neo-Nazi rallies
- White nationalism as a rebrand of white supremacy
- Mass shootings like the Texas church shooting and the one in Las Vegas
- The rise of cyber bullying, personal attacks, and partisan news
- Whataboutism hit its prime
- The fall of Al Franken…
- …Kevin Spacey, Charlie Rose, Matt Lauer, Louis C.K., Mario Batali, Garrison Keillor, George HW Bush…
- Half the population over age 20 revisiting some sort of painful memory
- Oh yeah, and Harvey Weinstein
Farewell 2017. You’ve overstayed your welcome and left us with very few bright spots.
- The firing of Steve Bannon
- Roy Moore’s narrow defeat by Doug Jones
- The Silence Breakers and a brighter day for working women
- The arrest of Paul Manafort and Robert Mueller’s ongoing Russia investigation
- SNL and John Oliver are crushing it
- Christmas/Hanukkah/Kwanzaa is here, reminding us to embrace joy and be good to each other (photos to follow)
What did I forget? In a shit storm as epic as 2017 there were bound to be other big things. My next entry will be brighter.
Keep the faith, and cheers to a happy and healthy and sane 2018! It can only get better.
2 thoughts on “Good Riddance 2017”
Your list illustrates why we are all so very tired (and tired of it). May Robert Mueller bring us good cheer in 2018!